Monday, January 11, 2010

Scrubs

I love wearing scrubs. Strangely, they make me so happy.

I think they remind me of my pjs.


Last week was hard. I went from extreme happy to confused and discouraged in a matter of days.


Short version: Shoulder/chest pain Tuesday and Wednesday, Cat scan after work Thursday, learning on Friday during my lunch break that a once stable nodule (thought to be inflammation) grew. Inflammation doesn't grow.

I was so discouraged. I cried for most of my lunch break, called my parents then went back to my orientation class hungry and discouraged. I hadn't felt that bad in a long time. I can usually get myself out of that place but I let my mind stay there for the rest of the day. I kept thinking "Who am I kidding, I had/have (not sure now) metastatic disease". I kept wondering why I went back to work, why I was wasting people's time. I quickly decided I no longer wanted to move out of my parents house. I wanted to run out of that building, break my lease, go home and crawl into my bed in sweats with cookies. I was really bad. Fortunately, with a few talks from people who know me best, I came back to myself.
I'm not wasting anyone's time. I feel great, so why not work. I'm still going to move. If the nodule turns out to be disease most of my treatment options don't require me to miss a lot of work. My doctor even stated that he is not sure exactly what it is because it grew such a small amount, and that it could have even been a variation in the ct machine. We are going to wait and see. I will be rescanned in 6 weeks.
I feel a lot better that I had the weekend to rest, I took Saturday as a mental vacay day and did only things I wanted to do the whole day. I was a little bothered with myself for getting so down, but I'm only human. I can't be upbeat and positive all the time, I try, but I guess sometimes you just have to feel what you feel.



7 comments:

Obsessedwithlife said...

So sorry to hear about this scare...my heart hurts for you and the worry that must come with it...know it too well...

But I have to say I love that pic of you ;).

Chin up, love you, call/email if you ever need anything or to talk,
Rach

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs” with over 640 other cancer blogs (sarcoma section)at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
If you have not visited in a while, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer to your own blogroll. And like bloggers everywhere, I love receiving your comments and ideas. I am a nurse also.
Take care, Dennis

Ann said...

hang tough, girl! it's ok, you can be mad and sad. glad to hear you are working and moving!

WhiteStone said...

I understand completely! One day I can be sorrowfully focused on possible recurrence...next day I'm dedicated to enjoying the "today". Bless you. Stay strong.

I, too, love the photo!

Yoga on the Steps said...

you're right...you are only human. stay positive and take each day at a time!

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right...no one can be positive all the time and it's important to give yourself those moments to cry, scream, etc. Hang in there!

Yoga on the Steps said...

You are so right...sometimes you just have to feel what you need to feel. It's ok to experience many different emotions--we shouldn't hold back.