Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dear Hair,

I miss you already. It's only been a little over an hour since we've been apart. You started to leave me a few days ago. I was sad, but prepared. Each day a little more of you would go. Tonight you were ready to come out in bigger clumps. I'm glad you were able to hold on to tonight because I really enjoyed my last day with you. Tonight I went into the bathroom to comb you and so much of you came out even when I softly combed or even ran my hands through you. I knew it was time so I sat down and enjoyed a few minutes with you. I cried a little bit too. Then I got up and dusted myself off and yelled up to Dad that I would like him to shave you off. He said absolutely. It was just you, me and Dad.....just like it was the first time. Dad was very kind and told me he understood how difficult this was for me. He also prayed to God and asked that this be the last time that he would have to do this to me. He asked if I was ready and told me to take a deep breathe. I did.

I can't wait to see you again. I hope it's only a few months but it may have to be a little more than that, like it was last time. I know some people may not understand what we had. They may think "hey, it's just hair". But you were so much more to me than that. You made me feel beautiful and feminine. I enjoyed brushing and curling you. People always told me that you were pretty because you were so long and black. Mom and Kim helped me pick out some things that look a lot like you. Of course, they will never replace you, but they will help me until I can get you back. I miss you. But, I had to let you go. If this is one of the things I have to do to reclaim my life back then it is truly a small sacrifice.
I'm a little uncomfortable putting a picture on here of me without you. But, I remember the times that I have been encouraged and amazed seeing women walk around during their treatments without you. It's nice to know you are not the only one. So in the case that someone in a similar situation stumbles onto this blog and finds that they are not the only one.....well, it was worth a little discomfort.


Before


After

Until I see you again......

Love,

Bethany

3 comments:

Kimberly Sawyer said...

I think you look great. See you next Sunday.

vintagecamille said...

This was beautiful! And you are beautiful! You are going to be fine and we are going to get you the most bad ass head tattoo ever.

Obsessedwithlife said...

Geez...you are drop dead gorgeous! Hair or no hair.

Makes me think of India Arie's song- "I am Not my Hair" ;). I heard her perform that live once!