Thursday, November 19, 2009

What a differnce a year makes...

Exactly one year I was working full time, had a boyfriend, was enjoying life as a 25 year old. Exactly one year ago today I thought I was healthy. I went to my regular 3 month check up thinking that it would be the same as all the others the year and a half before, clear. Instead of hearing this I heard things like relapse, mass against my heart, the size of a small baseball, and not able to do surgery. It was horrifying. Even though I was first diagnosed 5 years before this it was really the first time that the solution wasn't black and white. I had never been told surgery wasn't an option. The thought of death had entered my mind before but this was the first time that I let it stay for a while.


Fast forward a year. I have had 9 rounds of IV chemo, one round of oral chemo, lines put in and removed, and an 8 hour surgery. I discovered I had a heart defect and had it fixed. I have not worked full time in a year and am now starting to apply for jobs hoping to go back to work by the beginning of the year. I am feeling stronger and healthier each day. I have had my heart broken, ended relationships and started new ones. I have matured and become more emotionally stable. I am in a better place and I'm happy.


This year was an absolute nightmare at times, many times to be honest, but I have also had some of the best times of my life this year.

It seems just like yesterday I was sitting in the office hearing the news. I really can't believe time has gone by this fast. I am so thankful I am on the other side. I am so happy I made it through.

I am so thankful to everyone for all their love and support. This was a team effort, I could not have done it without you.

My post from a year ago.

2 comments:

Obsessedwithlife said...

Anniversaries are always strange...Nov. 29th is the anniv. of when I was told I had weeks to live...It will be 7 years! (and 5.5 years of remission).

I LOVE YOU!!

So happy you are here too!

Rach

WhiteStone said...

Isn't it amazing how good we feel! I finished my chemo in July and I spent two hours doing some deep cleaning for Tday. God is good. No matter what. Bless you. (Love your Keymo!)